John Bernard Shultz was born July 2, 1917, at rural Ethan, the son of William B. and Anna (Pierson) Shultz. He attended grade school in the Ethan area then moved with his family to Alexandria. He graduated from Alexandria High School in 1936, and then attended Nettleton Commercial College in Sioux Falls. On November 29, 1939, he married Lucy Bucknell at Alexandria, SD. He was employed at the state headquarters office of Standard Oil Company in Huron. He was a veteran of World War II, enlisting in the US Navy, December 3, 1942 and was discharged February 8, 1946, at San Diego, CA. He returned to Mitchell and on March 1, 1946 began working at the Toggery. He purchased the Toggery on August 1, 1966 and sold it in December of 1975. He was employed at Feinsteins in Mitchell for one year and then worked for Iverson Max Motors as an office manager until his retirement on July 1, 1987.
He was a member of Holy Family Catholic Church, served two terms on the Notre Dame School Board and two terms on the Holy Family Parish Council. He served on the Mitchell Area Chamber of Commerce Board in 1959, 1960 and 1961 and then another term on the Chamber Board from 1966 until 1968. He was a life member of the Knights of Columbus, a life member of the Mitchell Elks Lodge and a member of the American Legion.
He is survived by his wife, Lucy, two daughters, Patricia Neuharth of Moorhead, MN, Vicki Wiese and husband Lonnie of Mitchell, one son, James Shultz of Fargo, ND, five grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by three sisters, four brothers and his son-in-law, Gary Neuharth.